Advertising on different platforms can generate more traffic for your dropshipping business.
Facebook Ads are not the only advertising method you can explore when it comes to promoting your dropshipping products. Although it’s a tool that is popular with dropshippers, other platforms are also available to target audiences online through ad campaigns. Some of these are YouTube, Pinterest, and Instagram.
For you to determine which method/s would be more advantageous for your dropshipping business, analyze the pros and cons of advertising on each platform.
#1 Facebook Advertising
With over 2 billion monthly active users on Facebook, it is not surprising that this is the traffic source targeted by almost all dropshippers. Facebook offers different ad types and targeting options to help you achieve the best results. You can choose to create ads using any of the following types:
- Image Ads
- Video Ads
- Carousel Ads
- Video Poll Ads
- Collection Ads
- Slideshow Ads
- Lead Ads
- Instant Experience Ads
- Dynamic Ads
- Stories Ads
- Messenger Ads
- Augmented Reality Ads
- Playable Ads
The Pros and Cons of Facebook Ads
Advertising on Facebook has many advantages and some of these include:
- Billions of potential clients that check their Facebook page several times a day.
- It is the most targeted form of advertising because you can define your audience based on age, gender, interests, location, and behavior.
- Facebook ads yield immediate results.
- Results are measurable by clicks, impressions, and conversions.
- You can target previous customers using the audiences feature to drive repeat business.
- It is a budget-friendly method of advertising because you can set your budget to decrease or increase anytime.
However, there are drawbacks to advertising on Facebook too. If you don’t pay ads, people will not be able to see your content. When you have many competitors advertising on Facebook, you’ll need a substantial budget to get the results that you want. Also, not all internet users can view Facebook ads. Only those who log in to their accounts can see your content.
#2 Instagram Advertising
Instagram is unique when it comes to advertising. Its main drivers for interaction are authenticity and imagery. People are more likely to engage with a brand’s Instagram post than their posts on other social media platforms. There are multiple ways you can advertise on Facebook-owned Instagram such as:
- Advertise through Facebook
- Boost an Instagram post
- Influencer shoutouts
- Instagram Story Ads
- Create a business page for your dropshipping business
The Pros and Cons of Instagram Advertising
- Instagram advertising provides similar advantages like Facebook including:
- Targeting audience based on demographics.
- Unique ad formatting using sponsored images, videos, stories, and influencer marketing.
- Access to analytics that can help you monitor cost per result, convert leads to customers, and more.
- Reach more people that are interested in the dropshipping products you sell.
- Build a following for your page and drive organic traffic to your dropshipping website.
- Instagram speaks visually to people and 80% of your message can be remembered by people who have seen your ad.
- You can set the limit of your daily ad spend.
Not all dropshippers can advertise on Instagram. It has some limitations that would not be ideal for promoting some dropshipping products.
- Limited audience as the majority of Instagram users are aged 35 and below.
- Targeting men on this platform may not turn out well than in other platforms because they only comprise 32% of the total active users.
- You cannot add clickable links on your post to send people to your landing page.
- You have to work mostly through a mobile platform.
#3 Pinterest Advertising
Pinterest is a social platform where 70% of users are female. It can provide both free and paid traffic for your website by pinning regularly and promoting pins, respectively. Promoting pins on Pinterest can let you generate a profit of $2 for every $1 you spend on advertising.
The Pros and Cons of Pinterest Advertising
When you advertise on Pinterest you can connect with users who have extra money to spend and are ready to purchase. As Pinterest is more on saving ideas that starting a conversation, pins will stay relevant and will circulate on users’ feeds for ages. Another advantage of using this platform is its versatility wherein users can found your pins by casually scrolling their feed or searching for products like yours.
However, there are disadvantages to Pinterest advertising. One, it is a closed system in which pins can only be viewed when people log in to their Pinterest account. Like Instagram, Pinterest has a limited audience, mostly women, and with age 45 years old and below. You also need to comply with the image requirements so your pins will do well in Pinterest searches.
#4 YouTube Advertising
With YouTube you can advertise your dropshipping business in three different ways: creating your YouTube channel, partnering with YouTube influencers, or through YouTube pre-roll ads. When you have a YouTube channel you can create video content about the uses and features of your dropshipping products. Meanwhile, an influencer can advertise your products by doing a product review and link back to your website. If you opt for YouTube ads, your video ad will be placed in front of a YouTube video that is related to your content and will play first before the video picked by the user.
The Pros and Cons of YouTube Advertising
YouTube is the second largest search engine owned by Google which is the leading search engine. Advertising on the platform can boost your potential of being found by internet users searching for your keywords. Based on statistics, YouTube mobile viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes on average and the time spent by users on the platform to watch videos keep on increasing every year by 60%.
There are certain disadvantages with YouTube advertising that you have to consider such as:
- The follow-on content or suggested videos are sometimes off-topic.
- Targeting is sometimes poor due to the random selection of follow-on content.
- The Google Search Console is not easy to use by amateurs.
- Some keywords can be costly because cost-per-click is an auction.
There are several advertising methods to promote your dropshipping business and dropshipping products and only four of them are covered here. You can do further research online to discover more options. Just make sure that you have analyzed the pros and cons of each platform before advertising on it so you will not waste your time and money.
Advertisements are effective traffic drivers but, you should have a high-converting landing page to successfully convert your traffic into customers. Because if you don’t have it, all your advertising efforts will just be useless as you cannot monetize your traffic.